Mother and Child
Mother and Child
Add to your Shopping Cart
Remove from your Shopping Cart
Remove from your favorite works list
Add to your favorite works list
Send as an eCard!
W: 390mm x H: 300mm x D: 240mm
W: 15" x H: 12" x D: 9"
Approx. Weight: 15.2kg
This work is
About "Mother and Child"
This sculpture was inspired by Pablo Picasso’s famous
painting called Mother and child, 1921.
I have transformed the pictural idea into
a gestural sculpture which captures the energy
of the dynamic relationship between a child
and its mother.
My gestural sculptures are modeled in clay or
plastersine, which allow for free flowing expression,
stopping at a precise moment in time that best holds
the feeling being expressed. The images come from
the essence of dance, the moments between balance,
where we are neither here nor there, like moving
mirages. Thus the work explores this rhythm of life,
the dichotomy of the opposites, which interplay in
our lives, the dance between dark and light, past and
present, movement and stillness… This is the feminine
rhythm, found in nature, and often forgotten by our
culture that seeks to control, separate and judge.
The work (which is one of natures most permanent
mediums, bronze) shows the chaos of creativity
stilled in a moment to serve as a reminder of our
Edition of 10, 7 available for purchase
Remove Sarah from your favorite artists list
Add Sarah to your favorite artists list
View all 6 works by Sarah Richards
Sarah Richards is an established South African artist living in a country town called Nottingham Road, KwaZulu/Natal. She is known for her experimentation with a diversity of visual mediums. Her specialization in bronze sculpture explores her love of nature, form and movement, combining detail with gestural marks.
In commissioned work she merges the clients vision of their chosen animal/bird with her own expressive style:
Imagine your feelings, passion, delight or any special relationship you have with a wild/domestic animal captured forever in bronze. Working in close relationship with the client Sarah Richards creatively expresses the unique character traits of the bird/animal she sculpts. She will also do human form commissions and portrait busts.
Currently at several Galleries in KwaZulu/Natal,Gauteng and Cape
- NSA Gallery 1998 (solo) - small bronze and concrete sculpture
- Artseen The Grillroom Café, Innes Rd, Durban, August 2002.
- ArtSPACE Durban 29 August 2011 – Bronze sculpture and paintings - Further
- ArtSPACE Durban, February 2008, Masters Exhibition of Oil paintings - Forward
- Sardine Run mixed media mural – King Shaka Airport 2014
- Portrait bust of King Goodwill Zwelitini and Mandela for public park in Richards Bay 2014
- National Heritage Project Life-size figures of King Nyabela and Doman as part of a large project 2012 -2013
- Cane Cutter – life-size bronze for the Cane Growers Association to commemorate the arrival of the Indian
- cane cutters 2012
Lifesize Nyala for private game Farm development
- Fish Eagle for Nedbank Golf challenge as gift for
players (edition of 18)
Fine Art -Technikon Natal (1989) -Higher diploma
People who chose Sarah's work also chose work by: