Remove Marietjie from your favorite artists list
Add Marietjie to your favorite artists list
Marietjie Henning self taught artist as well as Art Curator of Mbombela Art Gallery, has never had formal training, she has always felt a passion for art and did her first oil painting at the age of 50.
The themes of her paintings have changed with the emotional ups and downs of her personal life, but sisterhood and maternity is a recurring vision that she feels an affinity to, being a grandmother to 10 children and an artistic haven for the community children. She used to start out with dark and sombre colours but recently her work represents rich and warm colours.
One of the themes she dotes on is a family of women, complete with [0x1]Gogo[0x1] (grandmother and her daughters), Sisters and children and Sisterhood. All tall, mystery figures in a misty, dawn background.
I feel a coherence with them, a part of their Sisterhood. The shadow figures who carry their children and belongings to the streets to make a living out of selling goods that commuters would buy. I realized what strength we women have in common, to be brave and to face the world out there in spite of our circumstances at home. To confront our sorrows and be positive and brave to be able to give our best to our children and the world around us, she says.
Marietjies work have been exhibited at various Art Festivals and art exhibitions all around the country as well as the 2010 Art Exhibition during the 2010 World Soccer Games, and her work have been sold as far as Sweden, Italy, Mocambique Germany, Mauritius, United Kingdom, America, Seycelles and many other countries.
As I have never had the opportunity to study art or had any form of training in the art of painting, I thank the Lord for giving me a talent that makes me both humble and human.
From 6 June 2009 until 3 July 2009, Marietjies work was exhibited at the ArtNot Terminal Gallery in Seattle America where one of her paintings Goggo and Doris was sold to the Patron of Art of Seattle.
She was invited to take part in the World ArtPrize Competition with participants throughout the world that took place in America in September 2011. Her painting Gogo Africa was exhibited in the Plaza Towers Art Gallery.
1. Marietjie received the 1st place in the frica Contest on Fineartamerica on 2 August 2010 for Womens Day Celebrations in SA.
2. Womens Day Celebrations in SA again received 2nd place in the competition International Womens Day Celebrations In March 2011.
3. Womens Day Celebrations in SA once again received 5th place in the contest It went Viralin January 2011.
4. She received the 2nd place on Fineartamerica Contest for the theme Best Mixed Medium in October 2010 for Emotions.
5. Emotions again received a 3rd place in the contest Zodiac Sign-Aquarius in February 2011.
6. In September 2010 She came 7th out of 1408 submissions in the contest with the theme Colours with Gogo and the Ancestors
Nelspruit Theatre 2005
Innibos National Arts Festival 2005
Casterbridge, White River 2005 x 3
Innibos National Arts Festival 2006
Caster Bridge, White River 2006
Solo Exhibition at Sandton Sun, Sandton 2007
Orchid Show 2007
Botanical Gardens 2008
Caster Bridge 2008 x 4
Innibos National Arts Festival 2008
Orchid Show 2008
ArtNot Terminal Gallery Seattle America June until July 2009
Diversity in Art Seattle America 2009
self taught artist
People who chose Marietjie's work also chose work by: